It’s sounds a bit stereotypical to say this but it is true. Most vegans are not conservative or republican. Generally speaking, the people eating and endorsing a vegan diet are more liberal. Conservatives that are heavily southern have a heritage of hunting, killing, and eating meat. And they are quite proud of it.
Fox News is the preferred news channel of conservatives. They are often the cheerleaders of all things conservative and they tend to reflect the ideology of their viewers. That makes it even more impressive that they published a major news story endorsing a vegan diet.
Is this a major sign that veganism is finally going mainstream? I can tell you that I live in the south and our small city now has an all vegan restaurant and several others with vegan options. This movement is growing by leaps and bounds and this major article by Fox News is proof of that.
Some of the highlights of this article on Fox News include:
- Plant-based diets are tied to a lower risk of health problems like heart disease, diabetes, obesity and certain cancers
- Well-planned vegetarian and vegan diets … provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of some chronic diseases
- People who eat a plant-based diet are less likely to be overweight or obese than adults who consume meat
- Vegan diets … are associated with a lower risk of heart disease than other ways of eating
- People who adopt a vegan diet reduce the risk of diabetes by 62 percent
- Risk of prostate cancer by 35 percent,
- Chance of being hospitalized for a heart attack by 33 percent
- Risk of heart disease by 29 percent and
- Risk of all forms of cancer by 18 percent
This was a great fact based article that did not pull any punches on the health benefits of a plant based diet. The only shortfall of this article by Fox News is that it didn’t really address the ethical reasons for going vegan. I know that this will bother a lot of vegans but not me.
Of course it would be great if people went vegan for ethical reasons. But even if they don’t, animals lives are still saved and animal suffering is reduced. I have also noticed that most people who go vegan wind up embracing the ethical side as well. This is a win for veganism and a win for the animals.
This is a great sign of progress for veganism in America and across the world. This article is proof that the science of health veganism is breaking through to the mainstream. We can all hope the ethics of veganism will soon follow. If you have conservative friends, share this article with them. They will be more open to believing something that comes from Fox News.