The simple banana. Who knew it had so many positive health properties?Who knew it was the most perfect vegan food? In fact many of us were surprised it was named the best food to eat of all time in a recent poll of scientist by Time Magazine. That’s some pretty large hype to live up to. So what are the health benefits of eating bananas every day?
There are actually nine clear benefits to eating bananas. And all nine would be experienced by most people who ate them. I personally have at least two bananas every day because I love smoothies. I use them in vegan recipes every time I can. Did you know bananas are a great egg substitute for your vegan recipes when you bake? And this amazing fruit is affordable, sweet to the taste and packs a nice nutritional punch as well. With the low price point of bananas I don’t think you could find a more affordable healthy food to eat.
So the nine benefits of eating a delicious banana every day range from increased energy and better digestion, to lower blood pressure and other effects. When I started eating bananas every day I could tell within about a week that both my resting and stressed heart rate had improved dramatically. This happens in general when you move to eating more vegan food and less animal products. But moreso with bananas. More of those cardiovascular benefits that we mentioned earlier. I found my heart rate was lower at rest, and it was harder to get it elevated when walking or running.
I must say that there is an internet meme circulating out there that says bananas produce something called TNF when they are very spotty and ripe and they fight cancer. Anytime there is a claim about something fighting cancer I take it very seriously and look into it. I was saddened to learn that this claim is mostly bogus. While bananas are amazing and very healthy to eat there isn’t much to support this claim of TNF production and it’s cancer fighting abilities. Rather than go into great detail I will just refer you to THIS ARTICLE that does a great job of breaking down the facts.
Don’t let that one issue dissuade you from eating this amazing fruit though. It’s like a super vegan food. The health benefits that many people see are numerous. We found nine of them specifically from here.
1) Heartburn- The soothing and anti acid properties of bananas can reduce or eliminate heartburn in some people. If you suffer from this try eating two a day and see if it helps you.
2) Blood Pressure- Because bananas are high in potassium and low in sodium they are great for the cardiovascular system. They have been shown to lower blood pressure.
3) Energy- If you are serious about working out then eat a couple of bananas before you begin. The potassium with help prevent muscle cramps and the high quality carbs and sugars will give you clean energy to get through your workout.
4) Anemia- You may not know bananas are a source of high quality dietary iron. This stimulates red blood cell production and strengthens your blood.
5) Ulcers- The smooth, soft, mushy texture of bananas can actually coats the stomach lining and protects it against common irritation and acids that lead to ulcers.
6) Depression- Did you know bananas contain tryptophan, which is used by the body to produce serotonin? Serotonin is associated with calmness and improved mood and mental state.
7) Constipation- Like most other fruits, the high fiber content goes a long way to keeping your regular.
8) Nerves- Bananas can help with blood sugar regulation, they have B vitamins, and the can help with serotonin as mention before. This can help with nerves, mental symptoms caused by PMS and other issues.
9) Regulate body heat- Nothing is more refreshing than a banana. They actually have a cooling factor associate with them. I recommend eating them before and after a workout.
Are you still interested in learning more about what happens when you eat ripe bananas as a part of your healthy vegan diet? Check out the video below for more information.
I eat bananas every day and I think it’s easy to see why! Photo Courtesy of Andrew