I love Mexican food and many foods inspired by those Mexican flavors. I especially like vegan burritos and tacos. This is a really quick and simple vegan burrito recipe that is delicious. It’s so easy to make most Mexican recipes into Vegan food in a snap.
Sometimes I get pressed for time; rushed by everyone in my life, and barely have time for myself. I am not the only one who feels like this right? During these times, I just want to lay on my bed or couch and munch something. However, there are very few recipes that you can make in a short span of time.
Lately, when I want a complete healthy meal-on-the-go, I make a few of these simple but extremely delicious Spicy Black Bean Burritos. I can just easily roll up these burritos and take them with me to the car when I’m really in a hurry.
It’s just literally like real fast food (provided that I’ve already prepped-up the ingredients), but with all the different kinds of delicious goodness of black beans, rice, tofu, vegetables, and several herbs. A quick and easy vegan Mexican recipe that is delicious.
Vegan Spicy Black Bean Burritos
- 5 to 6 ripe chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup hot cooked white rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) packages extra-firm smoked tofu, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Sour Cream (like Tofutti)
1. For the salsa, mix all of the salsa ingredients in a medium-sized bowl; refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. For the burritos, mix the rice, beans, onion, garlic, and cumin in a medium-sized bowl. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
3a. For the tofu, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through, turn it once.
4. Spread 1/4 cup of rice over the bottom half of a tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Add the rice mixture with 1/4 of the tofu on top, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, and 2 tablespoons of sour cream then roll up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Cut each burrito in half, and then serve.
Recipe adapted from Food.com who own these mouth watering photos as well. Make sure you visit their site for more.