I know a lot of people don't like wraps. Personally I have grown to love vegan wrap recipes. They are simple, quick, delicious and portable. I find them to be the perfect vegan food for lunch at work or on the go.
My friend once shared to me that she has tried making an exercise routine for herself. This went on for around four months before she dropped because she could not keep up with everything else if she will dedicate a lot of her time working out.
During that time, after she was finished with sweating the calories away, she would go and eat a salad but sometimes it wasn’t enough. Sometimes she would eat too much and later on she would feel guilty. However, my good friend has found a solution for her hunger every after workout.
From the website of Hip Foodie Mom, a Spinach and Tofu Wrap Recipe solved the problem. It was able to satisfy the hunger and at the same time, it has also provided several nutrients that are important to the body. However, this food is not only meant for those who are doing strenuous work. It can be eaten by anyone!
The next time you have a house guest, you can serve them this because it is a finger food and it is not messy to eat. It can also be your snacks when watching movies or television series. Perhaps, you can have this as a light breakfast which is not exactly light because you will definitely feel full after eating it. But, on the stomach, yes, it is light. The ingredients and directions for this recipe is on the next page.
Spinach and Tofu Wrap Recipe
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey (I know about half of people who call themselves vegan eat honey. If you dont then sub your fav vegan sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ container extra firm tofu; drained, rinsed, pressed with paper towels and sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 2 large sized whole wheat soft tortillas
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- red cabbage , thinly sliced
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups alfalfa sprouts
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, honey and sesame oil. Taste and adjust ingredients if needed. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and set aside.
- In a large pan and over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the tofu slices and cook on each side for about 5 minutes or until it becomes browned and crispy. Remove from pan and cut into strips.
- Place your whole wheat tortilla on a clean, flat surface (you may warm it up, if needed), lay in the tofu strips and the rest of the cut veggies, starting with the carrots, cucumbers, red bell pepper strips and red cabbage. Then, lay the spinach on top and add the alfalfa sprouts on the side. Add the dressing on top and roll the tortilla closed, starting from one end and roll it to the other end. Slice and serve with extra dressing on the side and sriracha sauce for a kick.
Two more dressing options:
- If you want your dressing to be spicy: Whisk together 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste), 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Taste and adjust anything if needed. Sprinkle on some roasted sesame seeds and enjoy!
- I f you want a miso option: Whisk together 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, 1 heaping tablespoon honey, ½ teaspoon miso paste, pinch of freshly grated ginger, 1 garlic clove minced. Taste and adjust anything if needed. Sprinkle on some roasted sesame seeds and have fun!
Recipe adapted from Hip Foodie Mom. Check out her website for more healthy and vegan meal options!