The Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese
Mac n Cheese…Oh that creamy goodness! I can still remember when my mom used to prepare mac n cheese for me and my siblings when we were still kids. I can still recall how our faces would light up when mom would tell us macaroni and cheese was for lunch.
We would all gather around and enjoy mom’s special mac n cheese. Since then, mac n cheese has always been an all-time favorite. Growing up, I never had a problem eating anything and everything until I became extra conscious about my weight and health and decided to go vegan. And don’t get me started on how horrible the dairy industry is for cows.
As a vegan, I should not eat meat, processed food, and dairy products and it wasn’t at all easy to give up cheese. I had to maintain all – natural diet so I had to give up a lot of things, even my favorite mac n cheese.
It was only a few months ago when I happen to read about vegan mac n’ cheese on the internet and got hold of the recipe. I tried to prepare it and yes, the long wait is over! Finally, I got to prepare and taste the Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese. For the ingredients and other details of this mac n cheese recipe, head on to the next page.
The Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or piccolini
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 3 cups soy, almond, or rice milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
How To Prepare:
- Add a heavily salted water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Toss in the macaroni and cook following the package directions. Usually, it only takes 10 – 15 minutes to cook the macaroni until it becomes tender.
- Before it is done, add the broccoli to the boiling water along with the macaroni then use the remaining 5 minutes to cook and make it tender as well. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk the margarine and flour over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until you make a paste.
- Add nondairy milk, yeast, tomato paste, salt, and garlic powder to the saucepan and let it boil while whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer until it thickens.
- Add seasoning to taste and stir in lemon juice and agave.
- Toss the noodles and broccoli with the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
I adapted this recipe from Chef Chloe. Make sure you check out her amazing site for more delicious vegan recipes.
The Vegan Zombie has the best recipe.
Lindsey Button Drew Rizzo
My favorite mac and cheese is made with the cheese sauce from Tandi at Plant-based Nutritionista. It is to die for, and so easy to make. Just pour it over your favorite gluten-free pasta. This cheese sauce goes with everything, and my non-vegan hubby just adores it. Tandi Hartle’s Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe: 1 small Yukon gold or russet potato
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 yellow onion
Fill a pan with about 1/2 inch of water, bring to a boil, put veggies in water, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer until veggies are soft. 15 minutes.
When veggies are soft, drain the water but reserve it, pour them into a blender and add:
3 Tb. water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 cup cashews
Blend until creamy, You may need to use the reserved water to get the blender going, usually about 1/2 cup is enough.
Mmmmmm Angel Russell
My stomach instantly started growling when I looked at this pic…
Chelsea Logan looks so yummy!
John Paul Kingston Nolan Eisentrager
I wish i go competly vegan
Thanks for sharing!
Helen GarzaGutierrez, Michelle Baugher
How sad is it I miss the kraft Mac n cheese from my childhood! Gag! Powdered cheese but I loved the stuff…. Heck I don’t even recall what cheese taste like… Been like 8 or so years
I know the earth balance stuff comes out pretty damn good! Yum!
I just made the most amazing vegan grilled “cheese”!
Gonna be making this in a few days. So excited. Thanks for sharing.
This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!
Peter Joshua Maciel
I was making this long before this article even came out
Making it soon
Toni Rae Lashdoll Gonzalez I’m tagging u often lately. Lol
I have to try this cause the instant stuff is nasty lol
Josh Peter maybe one of these would be betyer
can’t find the recipe, can you post it here in comments?
Garen Swafford so much for you to cook 🙂
Robert Dillon make me a dinner for once ?
Sarah Kaye Johnson, I see these all the time but if I eat any more pasta I’m gonna die
Joshua Sitgreaves this looks like the good mac and cheese
Where’s the beef!!!?
Gabe Bellchambers looks good