Mac n Cheese…Oh that creamy goodness! I can still remember when my mom used to prepare mac n cheese for me and my siblings when we were still kids. I can still recall how our faces would light up when mom would tell us macaroni and cheese was for lunch.
We would all gather around and enjoy mom’s special mac n cheese. Since then, mac n cheese has always been an all-time favorite. Growing up, I never had a problem eating anything and everything until I became extra conscious about my weight and health and decided to go vegan. And don’t get me started on how horrible the dairy industry is for cows.
As a vegan, I should not eat meat, processed food, and dairy products and it wasn’t at all easy to give up cheese. I had to maintain all – natural diet so I had to give up a lot of things, even my favorite mac n cheese.
It was only a few months ago when I happen to read about vegan mac n’ cheese on the internet and got hold of the recipe. I tried to prepare it and yes, the long wait is over! Finally, I got to prepare and taste the Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese. For the ingredients and other details of this mac n cheese recipe, head on to the next page.
The Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or piccolini
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 3 cups soy, almond, or rice milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
How To Prepare:
- Add a heavily salted water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Toss in the macaroni and cook following the package directions. Usually, it only takes 10 – 15 minutes to cook the macaroni until it becomes tender.
- Before it is done, add the broccoli to the boiling water along with the macaroni then use the remaining 5 minutes to cook and make it tender as well. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk the margarine and flour over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until you make a paste.
- Add nondairy milk, yeast, tomato paste, salt, and garlic powder to the saucepan and let it boil while whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer until it thickens.
- Add seasoning to taste and stir in lemon juice and agave.
- Toss the noodles and broccoli with the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
I adapted this recipe from Chef Chloe. Make sure you check out her amazing site for more delicious vegan recipes.