Sometimes I seriously wonder if my obsession with vegan Mexican food is getting out of hand. Rather than dwell on it, I decided to just share these Vegan Enchilada Quesadillas. Seems like a better use of my time right?
When you have written and shared over 10,000 recipes on a website like we have here, you begin wondering if you keep repeating yourself. It’s no secret I think the best vegan food may just be Mexican food.
Think about it for a moment. The best Mexican dishes are usually made fresh, incorporate healthy veggies, and taste amazing. What more could you want in a healthy vegan recipe? Most Mexican recipes are easily made vegan with few changes.
The secret to any Mexican wrap recipe like a quesadilla or enchilada is in the tortilla. If you don’t get that part of it right then it really won’t matter what you stuff inside it. This recipe gets it right!
Even though it will sound like I’m exaggerating here, I’m not. These tortilla shells are so good you will want to start turning everything you see into a quesadilla. It reminds me of the old saying, “To the man with only a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”
I’m about to drop the most amazing thing of all about these tortillas on you. It’s not that they don’t have cheese. It’s not that they don’t have any grain. And it’s not that they are so amazing they may blow your mind.
You only need 6 ingredients to make them.
The best vegan recipes are the easy recipes and this on is definitely easy. I don’t care what level of cook you are I promise that these Vegan Enchilada Quesadillas will come out perfectly delicious.
Vegan Enchilada Quesadillas
Tortilla Ingredients and Instructions
- 3/4 Cup Otto’s Naturals Cassava flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 Cup warm water
Note (you must use Otto’s Naturals Cassava flour for this recipe. You can try something different but results will vary a lot)
- Whisk the salt into the flour. Slowly add water until dough forms
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth
- Divide in half, then again, so you have 4 balls
- Roll each ball out on parchment paper until it’s thin
- Place each tortilla on a hot skillet one at a time and cook for about one minute, then flip.
You want them lightly brown. Don’t cook too much because you will be cooking them
again for your Quesadilla/Enchilada recipe
- Stack them up and cover with a towel to keep warm
Vegan Quesadilla Enchilada Ingredients
- 1 1/2 mashed avocado
- 1/4 minced red onion
- 2 minced cloves garlic
roughly chopped cilantro (about a handful or to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Cup green chile sauce
- Optional Garnish Ideas:
- Vegan sour cream
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Red Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Wedges Of Lime
- Mix mashed avocado, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and salt
- Cover each tortilla with a thin layer of your guacamole
- Half fill tortilla with black beans, fold in half, brown on each side in a pan
- Cover with chili sauce
- Top with your choice of garnish